Wednesday, November 12, 2008

NaNo comes to a grinding halt

I'm definitely feeling the week two slow down with my NaNo novel. I was so excited to catch up and reach my goal earlier in the week, or rather, at the end of week one, but now I'm having trouble getting myself into it. I wrote a little today but really hadn't written much since my prolific Saturday. It's not that I'm even stuck on the plot - only mildly, nothing I can't fudge through for now - I just haven't felt excited about it. This is a good opportunity to practice what I tell my students and just write anyway. I did write a few paragraphs today at work and left it in a place with some momentum and fresh ideas to put in, so that's good. I'll get back to work on it this evening, but first I have to take care of the other area I'm disciplining myself in and exercise.

I thought once I got over the hump and reached the inciting force, it would be downhill from there, but sadly not. In fact I think this is when most novels are in greatest danger of never being finished, when you realize how much you've written and how far you still have to go.

Don't give up, fellow Wrimos! We can do this. Shoot for at least 25,000 at the end of this week. It's less than the actual count that should be complete, but you'll be halfway to your goal. (Okay, it's only 5 words shy of the 1667 times fifteen.)

No comments: